Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Resolutions: Revisited

So last November I wrote a post titled "new year's resolutions". I thought since it has been exactly two months since that post, I'd look back on those resolutions and see how I did, and how I can revise them. So here we go.

I had two main goals that were:
 1) Do something.
 2) Regret nothing.

I feel like I accomplished the 'do something' goal pretty well, but I have done some things that I regret so I'll be working on those this year.

Those two main goals branched out into five narrower goals:
 1) Learn more.
 2) Love more.
 3) Live more.
 4) Play more.
 5) Laugh more.

Learn. I feel like I've been learning a LOT lately. Most of my classes inspire me with thoughts I've never thought before, and my scripture reading goal is teaching me small truths.

Love. I feel like I could love a little deeper. I have started telling people that I love that I love them more often though. Some people think that love is a special word that should be saved for the one, but I think that's selfish. I'm gonna spread my love far and wide. That sounded awkward. Moving on.

Live. I have not really done well with this one at all. I haven't gotten out of my comfort zone. But I have begun to eliminate sources of virtual reality from my life (i.e. Facebook, Minecraft, etc.) Unfortunately, my parents got me a PS3 for Christmas... I really don't play it that often though! Should I get rid of it?

Play. Nope. I need to play more.

Laugh. I'm getting there! I'm trying to be more passive.

Finally I had really specific subgoals:

1) a. Scripture (30+ minutes, at least 15 on BoM)
    b. School (B's)

Definitely accomplished! I've since increased my scripture reading goal. And I did get all B's last semester! Let's do it again this semester!

2) a. Service (temple/blood weekly, home teaching)
    b. Forgiveness
    c. Gratitude

Failed service. Did good in forgiveness as far as I can tell. Did better in gratitude. These aren't exactly measurable goals except for service, which I completely failed at. I'm going to redouble my efforts for the temple, giving blood, and doing home teaching.

3) a. Computer Time (30 min)
    b. Go outside
    c. See friends
    d. Get crazy

I did really good in computer time. I did alright in going outside, but it's cold now, so I'm revising this to "Get out of the dorm". See friends. I haven't really spent much time with my friends lately, because I've been busy with other projects, but when I'm with my friends I am WITH my friends. Get crazy. I'm deleting this one. I want to be outgoing and friendly, but not obnoxious.

4) a. Music (listen, practice, make)
    b. Writing (NaNoWriMo, poetry)
    c. Reading (Non-church material)
    d. Restrict Video Game time

I am suspending music for the time being. Music is not what I want to do with my life. Music is something I enjoy listening to, but making it is not my forte. I'm going to try and be a more visual person, but not necessarily restrict myself by labeling myself as such.

Writing... I have not finished that NaNoWriMo novel... But I do now have my Spiritual Notebook Pt. II! I've been kind of journaling, kind of questioning, kind of organizing in it. But I am going to go back to that novel, and try to write more often. I'm not going to state what I will be writing though. I'm gonna leave that up to interpretation.

Reading. I haven't really read that much, but I do have several excellent novels lined up! The Fault In Our Stars, Sherlock Holmes, The Steve Jobs Biography, and others.

Restricting video game time. Heck. Yes. Good job me.

5. Laugh more.

I did good I think. Good job self!

So how did I do overall? Decent. I am seeing some improvement! So I think it's time to rethink and restate my goals. I want to try getting more measurable with these goals, because I noticed I was having trouble seeing whether or not my goals were getting accomplished. So here we go!

I'm going to go ahead and state some life goals to start:
1. Live a self-sustainable life
2. Be able to look back without regrets
3. Be able to say I travelled the world
4. Have a collection of photos to remember my past by
5. Be as close to Christ as possible
6. Be healthy

Now I want to try achieving these goals as soon as possible, but I know that these goals will NEVER be completed. I can always live more sustainable. I can always try to live with no regrets. I can always travel more. I can always take more photos. I can always be more like Christ. So I want to give myself smaller goals that will help me on my way toward these goals.

1. Live a self-sustainable life.
By this I mean, live green. Live like you're going camping. Leave this planet nicer than when you got here. So:
   a) Recycle whenever possible.
   b) Start gardening (I realize this isn't exactly possible right now, but get ready to start a garden when you own a house, research gardening techniques)
   c) Collect rain water for use in the home.
   d) Use wind/solar/etc. Use sustainable energies.
   e) Buy a more fuel efficient car.
   f) Turn off the lights.
   g) Clean your plate.

2. Be able to look back without regrets.
   a) Don't stay in bed.
   b) Always be kind to others.
   c) Contribute to society in some way. Find out how you can help. Service is so important.

3. Be able to say that I travelled the world
I realize this is also not strictly available to me right now. But I should start saving as soon as I can.
   a) Save 20% of all earnings on travel
   b) Begin a bucket list, and prioritize.

4. Have a collection of photos to remember my past by
To have a collection of photos, I need to take pictures, and because I don't like carrying my nice camera around everywhere, I either want to get a little point and shoot, or a bunch of disposable cameras. Or both.
   a) Save money for a little point and shoot.
   b) After getting the point and shoot, save for disposable cameras.
   c) Continue Dailyboothing with my nice camera

5. Be as close to Christ as possible
   a) Do Home Teaching
   b) Complete scripture reading goal
   c) Go to the temple weekly
   d) Pay 10% of all earnings to the Church
   e) Pay fast offerings
   f) Be a missionary

6. Be healthy
   a) Daily Yoga
   b) Cut back on sweets
   c) Go to bed. Get out of bed. 11:00pm-7:00am weekdays. 12:00am-8:am weekends.
   d) Spend time outdoors

7. Other
   a) Finish that novel
   b) Start another novel
   c) Post on your blog at least once a week.
   d) Read a novel once every month.
   e) B's in school

Alrighty! My new set of goals! I feel like these are a little bit more achievable and measurable. Some of these will be easier than others for sure. I'd better get started then!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you could sell the PS3 and get a camera instead. I could actually probably still return it.

    ReplyDelete